Sunday, October 21, 2007

Endearing Quirks

Today, I've just been thinking about those cute little things that my little boys do that I don't ever want to forget. Gabe finds Garrett's baseball caps and wears them backwards around the house like a little punk. He flings himself at me for big hugs. He loves baths until it's time for washing, and splashes until the whole room is covered. He loves sitting in chairs that are his size (we found a recliner at Walmart and instead of looking at the toys, he just lounged in his special chair). He whines like a little puppy for anything he wants - usually food that someone else is eating. He loves his blankets. We were gone for a couple of days and didn't have his blankets with us - When we got home, he went to his bed and whined to get in bed. When I put him in there, he just snuggled with his blankets but didn't go to sleep. He giggles a lot when Jonathan gets giggling. He is so anxious to have fun with Jonathan. He'll go running if he hears Garrett and Jonathan playing together. He's snuggly and very firm in his desires for anything he wants.

Jonathan loves puzzles and tools and trucks and trains. He is so proud to be able to recognize the letter A. He says amano instead of tomorrow; cabach instead of ketchup; slerpy instead of slippery. He loves telling other kids what to do while we are trying to tell him what to do - that one's sometimes scary to see him mimicking me. He always asks me if Jesus is God. He loves looking and acting like his dad. He loves helping me cook - especially if he gets to get in the water in the process. He loves playing with (and pestering) Gabe. The primary has started to let the kids who will advance to Sunbeams come into singing time towards the end of church. He sits and folds him arms so reverently until the music starts, when his arms turn into a guitar and he strums away. He is always informing me that we are going camping. He loves telling me that he is "too big" to do things - like bath and go to bed.

And on a side note - my big man - Garrett - also has endearing quirks that are delightful. He puts soy sauce on any rice dish regardless of its flavoring. He salts everything (including watermelon). He eats condensed canned soup straight from the can and thinks I'm ridiculous for adding water. He has a cup of water or a bottle of water at many, many locations around the house, so he can always be assured of a drink, no matter where he is. He doesn't believe in wearing sweats outside of the house, unless you're exercising. He acts as if it's no big deal anytime he does something wonderful - like make dinner or clean up the house. He is one of the most wonderful organizers I have ever known and rearranges rooms when he gets tired of them. He hates positive attention and was the most upset with his job a few weeks ago when he and a coworker were recognized for having the most positive comments from clients - HR put his picture up on the wall - To listen to him talk, you would have thought he had was one step away from being fired. He can't resist playing around with his little boys - even when he's worried or stressed.

Oh - how I love these three wonderful men in my life!

1 comment:

Becky said...

this is so sweet! it really needs to be a scrapbook page-- Gotta love the boys!
also, as a side note, sometimes I have a hard time signing into my account and I can't always comment, so if you allow anonymous comments then I can drop in and say hello quite easily :) if you want to of course.