Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Happy (Belated) Birthday DAD!

My dad’s been busy the weekend that passed;
His free time for celebration went fast!
So my birthday poem time line fell behind
Perhaps looking a little bit unkind.

But stake conf’rence and girls camp have certainly helped me,
Distracting my dad from my belated birthday poetry.
While he’s gone, my rhyming mind I’ll jog
And add this birthday poem to my little blog.

On June First, my dad had his fifty-eighth birthday
And of this great man, there is so much to say!
His quirky laugh, strange idea of sportsmanship,
The way he stirs his ice water before taking a sip.

All those things endear you to your loved ones
- Even that old joke that “all but five are sons”.
We love the way your face gets red when you get mad.
You make it so easy to enjoy the word “Dad”.

Beyond the silly and funny we see
You’re truly a gift to our family.
You always make me feel that I can
Do all that God’s asked of me in His plan.

I was told once long ago in blessing on my head
That I should listen to my parents – everything they said.
And yet, you always tell me – “I’m sure you’ll do what’s right”
Your expression of confidence has been my guiding light.

That gift for me has been greatest by far
You couldn’t have done more if you’d bought me a car.
(Not that I’d turn down such a donation.
As your favorite child, I’d need no explanation!)

You’ve been the best example of always striving to do more,
Never seeing gospel living ever as a chore.
Dad, I love you! You’re the best – It’s true!
And the biggest of happy, happy birthdays to you!

No comments: