Thursday, March 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Shayla and Jonathan!

March 12th is a special day – special to my life.
Especially since I became a mother and a wife.

I got my second sister when I was six years old.
It didn’t take long to see she was worth more than gold.
From her earliest years, it was plain to see
That Shayla was a special part of my family.

A natural leader, noble, beautiful, and good.
Making it look easy, she did just what she should.
This makes it sound like her life’s a piece of cake
But Shayla just does her best, in all that she has stake.

And that’s the thing that is for me – my favorite part
The way she gives all she has – To me, it is an art.
From singing, dancing, schoolwork, to wife and mother too
She digs right in, does her share – like she always knew.

And yet, if you talk with her, she makes you feel at ease.
Giving practical advice without a lot of cheese.
And she makes it sound like you thought of it yourself
Truly she is better than Santa’s first class elf!

And of all her feats, her family’s her magnum opus.
Seeing all her daughters know – It looks like ‘hocus pocus’.
Now with her first son – She and David may feel like newbies!
But Shayla, it’s easy to see that your price is “far above rubies.”
(I love this pictures of her!)

Twenty-three years later, on the very same date.
I delivered our first child, ‘tho he came quite late.
Well…..at least that’s how I felt – ‘tho a mere four days.
All the pain was quick forgot, when on him, I did gaze.

His face was so angelic – with those big blue eyes
How his whole body lights right up when he gets surprised.
For one whole year “truck” was the only word he said.
But through his expressions, so much more was expressed.

Now he’s five years old and full of ideas grand.
Both my mom and dad will certainly understand
How he can remember almost every word I say;
It comes back to haunt me almost every single day!

He’s oh! So very honest when I ask if he was nice.
“Kinda I was and kinda I wasn’t”, is his unique reply!
He loves the gospel, scripture study, family home ev’ning.
“I Love to See the Temple” he and Gabe can really sing!

I love the way he tackles me and his dad in a bear hug
(‘Tho it should be the other way) It makes me feel so loved!
Jonathan, “my first born in the wilderness”,
I hope you know mom thinks you are the very best!

2 comments:

Grandma's Joys said...

What a darling post to your sister and son. I love the pictures you chose and of course your poems are special as always. When you share stories, I can just hear you talking to your kids! You share the cutes experiences!

David and Shayla said...

Thanks Cynthia, you're the best. I love sharing my birthday with Jonathan...it makes me think we're connected or something like that. Love you!