Thursday, October 23, 2008

Follow the Yellow Yolk Road

Yesterday was crazy, crazy, crazy. After I dropped Jonathan off at preschool, I ran the boys over to the grocery store to cash a check at our bank and get a couple of necessities. I got to the store with my little list and since it was a sticky note, I stuck it to the front of the cart while I deposited money in the bank. When I got back the list was gone except a tiny peice that was all wet - JACOB. But it was gone, so I poked my finger in his mouth and with a professional one-finger sweep, there was my list in the roof of his mouth - just a blog of paper and ink, but all gone. So, I really tried to remember everything that was on it (I only forgot one thing). I was so intent on remembering everything - which included eggs - and not so much on watching my boys. Gabe is really good at the grocery store and hasn't needed as much supervision as Jonathan, who wants to touch and try everything he sees.

I was getting the last item into the cart, when I noticed that the egg carton was open. While only one egg was lying broken on the bottom of my cart, I was cleaning yellow yolks trails all down the isle and back to the meat counter where the "alleged incident" occurred. While cleaning, the grocery store personnel did not offer to help, but did express concern that I left my children unattended (seated in a shopping cart) and an older woman from my ward, who doesn't know me, asked for direction to where "I" keep the icecream.

I got home in time to go back and get Jonathan from school. I stopped to chat with a friend without realizing that I had inadvertantly kneeled on Gabe's little puff snacks, which were stuck to my pants. When I got all the kids home, I put the two youngest down for naps and asked Jonathan to take a rest so until Gabe fell asleep and the whole family was soon asleep. A neighbor woke us all up, when I realized that my hair (which had been under a handkerchief all morning until the nap) was atrocious.

I blame all this on the great feat I accomplished the day before of canning a whole 10 quarts and 11 pints of tomatoes - my first time ever canning all by myself. I was very proud, but exhausted. So, I guess that is why I was braindead yesterday...

1 comment:

Erin Ropelato said...

I am so glad I am not the only mom in the world that has these kind of moments--you just have to laugh or you'd start crying. Hermana-I love reading your blog and keeping up with you and your family. We finally have a blog too--stop by if you get a sec--
Love, Hermana Peterson (a.k.a. Erin Ropelato
scottanderinropelato@blogspot.com