Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy Birthday Joseph!

Today is the birthday of my only brother
The only boy born to my only mother.
Here’s a secret that he would call “dirty”.
For my little brother has reached the age Thirty!

I remember when I turned thirty, as well,
The idea of being that old just didn’t jell.
I thought I’d feel smarter, responsible, wise
But feeling no different was sure a surprise.

Today, Joseph may be feeling somewhat the same
He may think that in those years he hasn’t changed,
But as I look at him and remember times past.
I’m impressed with all that he’s gained – stuff that lasts!

I recall a little boy with a superman cape and a purse
Whose crazy escapades were sometimes a curse.
Eating poisonous plants, bee stings, rocks that richochet.
Sometimes it seemed always – it wasn’t his day.

But somehow when I wasn’t looking, this little “toad”
Turned into a prince – one of the best I ever “knowed.”
I’ve seen him become a leader, a pillar, a true friend,
A man that you can count on - True to the end.

A stranger might, from the great man he sees, take a guess
That all of his strength came to him without any stress.
But I’ve seen him humbled, burying part of his heart
Then watching his sweetheart suffer pain off the chart.

He’s been willing to admit weaknesses to help others.
He’s made his sister’s husbands feel like brothers.
He’s been a hero to me – He fills me with hope,
That, when facing my trials, I’ll be able to cope.

Joseph, I love you! I want you to know
Heavenly Father knew I needed you so.
Because I have only one brother to boast ,
I can say without guilt – I love you the MOST!

2 comments:

Joe said...

Thank you so much Cynthia! I think that one of your greatest skills is to see the good in people instead of the bad, no one could be better suited to be an oldest sister, kindest observer, and truest friend. I love you and want you to know that. Thanks again for your kind words.

Joseph

Linda Z said...

I just caught upon all your blog. Since Proposition 8. The poem, pictures and Magots are great. Love it all. Mother