Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Giants In My Life

I was thinking this morning how there are so many great people in my life that strengthen me and make me a better person. A few of them have really impacted my life this week and I'd like to share them with those of you that may not know them...

Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave two talks at the General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that has really hit the spot for me. One was actually at the Relief Society meeting the Saturday before conference. If you have some time to listen, here are the links: http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-7,00.html and http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-37,00.html

Next, my brother Joseph's wife, Jenn, posted a blog entitled Not bad, as far as a Thursday goes
posted on October 9th, 2008 at http://zollyzoo.com/jennblog/ This blog reminded me once again how lucky I am in my brother's choice of the only sister-in-law to join an almost all girl family. Her words have really helped me this week.

Then, on Wednesday, one of my roommates from college had a healthy baby girl. Doesn't sound so inspirational. Natalie's first boy was born with serious heart problems requiring three open heart surgeries in the first couple years of his life, the first one coming the first few days of his life. When their second son was born, he too had heart problems. A few months before my Gabe was born, Natalie and Doug got a little girl, free from heart problems. A few days after Gabe was born, she died of SIDS. They got pregnant when I got pregnant with Jacob and miscarried soon after. As I spoke with her, my heart was touched with the amount of courage she continues to exhibit. Through it all, her testimony (and that of her husband's) remains strong and true. This past year, they've even opened the doors of their baby girls room and had a teenage girl who needed a place to live stay with them. On Wednesday, they had a beautiful, healthy baby girl, appropriately named Faith - See her pictures at http://natalie-fieldfamily.blogspot.com/2008/10/got-faith-we-do.html.

And just last night, my little sister Melanie - no longer the little girl that asks to snuggle with me when I come from college, but a fantastic, darling woman with two adorable children - posted a message that really impressed me as it involves the situation in California - something that remains in the back of my mind - although it could have lasting impressions on our entire nation. Her blog is found at http://daveandmelstory.blogspot.com/2008/10/what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it.html.

These are just some of the people that have really affected me this week. There are so many more in my life. How lucky I am!!!

No comments: