Thursday, April 2, 2009

Super Power???? Shots

Jonathan has been so excited since I used an idea from Keribeth's blog and told him that today we'd be going to the doctor to get his super power shots so he'd be ready for kindergarten. He kept running to the door and peeking over to see if it was his turn. They finally called his name and he didn't even wait for me.

In the office, the doctor checked him all out and it was great. He smiled from ear to ear. Then, the nurse came in with 5 shots. The first one went in his arm. That's when he told me that he didn't want any more super power shots. After the second, he began fighting. I held him tight and bit back those tears that I always struggle holding back when my kids get hurt. He did pretty good for the last one.

I asked him if he'd like a treat for being so brave. He said he wasn't brave, but he was ok with having a treat anyway, and chose Cheetos. He shared them with his brothers (who should have been upset because I've never offered them treats after shots, but who didn't mind as they downed a lot of cheetos).

And tonight, he's very proud of his band-aids. Sadly, some new rules came into play and he'll have to get one more in 6 months....

2 comments:

Grandma's Joys said...

Oh how I laughed while reading this. The excitement for the super powers deminishes quickly when the nurse enters the picture! Working at the doctor's office, I always wonder as I watch the "brave and innocent" enter with so much enthusiasm how long it's going to be before the tears begin. I'm glad I'm the person who gets to hand out the stickers and suckers!

Amy said...

Poor kid! And his mom lies to him! J/K