Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandpa Slim!

This poem is dedicated to my Grandpa who turned 94 today. A lot of the wording I use in the poem, comes from a book that was compiled from a lot of his writing. The last two lines of the last stanza come directly from a letter he wrote to his mother after she died while he was serving our country during WWII.


I’ll tell you all a story of a man they nicknamed Slim.
Tho’ the name describes his body, it can’t begin to tell of him.
He never sought attention or the praise of other men.
But his life is so praiseworthy – from the beginning to the end!

Born of humble beginnings – as many great men are
In Eastern Wyoming – where rural was the par!
Second to the youngest – Five brothers and a sis.
Hard work, laughter, lots of fun – a few things from his list!

Although he was quite nervous about his preaching skill,
As has been his habit, he bowed to the Lord’s will.
He served a faithful mission – In those days bygone.
His example blessed his fam’ly; This legacy’s passed on.

After serving Heav’nly Father, Serving country was sure trying.
Eyesight, honesty, and timing prevented army ladder climbing.
Did he enjoy his army time? He’d say “No; Parts were “R rated”.
But with hope, faith, and courage – Temptations were abated.

And blessed he was for those hard times; Blessings his fam’ly now enjoys.
The blessing of his choice in wife, then children - three girls and five boys.
And wonder of wonders for this boy who hated school,
He pursued through to his masters – Proving he was far from “fool”.

I could go on to praise his works, but having loved this humble man,
Unending tributes of his life would be much more than he could stand!
I’m sure he’d want it known – He was not a perfect man.
From his birth to age 94; He just does the best he can!

So here I’ll conclude the end of this great tale,
Adding lessons I learned and then I’ll bid farewell
The first one is that our choices ‘tho often made when we are young
Are the melodies from which the blessings of life are sung.

The other great lesson that he simply taught to me
Is that what makes a man noble or ordinary
Is not the wealth to which he’s born – nor his times of courage & coward,
But the way, no matter what, he keeps on pressing forward.

Thanks for your great example - You’re my hero brave & tall
With great admiration, I affect’nately call you Grandpa.
And when my time comes to pass on to the next life
Of the people I will search are you and your dear wife.
And I too will live my life so you both may proudly say,
“She, too, is our family”. This I sincerely pray!

I love you Grandpa!

1 comment:

David and Shayla said...

Great poem Cynthia! You have a huge talent for that. I hope Grandpa remembers that I'm his favorite after reading your poem. We gave him a card that Rachel wrote...it was a good card...but not as legible or creative as your poem! Love ya!